Wiring Rewiring & Cabling
Complete Wiring, Rewiring and Cabling
Expert Electricians for All Your Wiring Needs
Roman Electric has been helping Wisconsin homeowners with their wiring projects for decades. Whether you are working on a new home, remodeling or simply need to replace a defective wire, our expert, licensed technicians can complete the project safely and efficiently. We can also set up homes with data and communications cabling to meet the needs of the ever-expanding digital landscape.
Common Electrical Wire Problems
There are several common electrical problems that homeowners face regularly. They range from the simple (a faulty switch) to the complex (replacing unsafe aluminum wiring with copper wiring), but most require the skills of a licensed professional. We’ve put together a checklist of the most common electrical issues faced by Roman Electric technicians. If you are experiencing any of these problems, give us a call today!
- Outlet or Switch Doesn’t Work – An outlet or switch that isn’t working properly could indicate that the wiring may be loose or the device might be cracked internally.
- Recurring Tripped Circuit Breakers/Blown Fuses – Circuit breakers and fuses are safety devices that help to prevent the overloading of your home electrical system (and help prevent fires). They stop the electrical current if it exceeds the safe level of any portion of your system. If you are experiencing frequent blown fuses or tripped circuits, call an electrician immediately.
- Switches/Outlets Warm to the Touch – A warm switch or outlet may indicate a damaged plate or a loose wire.
- Switches/Outlets Discolored – Discoloration can signify a hazardous heat buildup at the connection.
- Switches/Outlets Making Noises – Buzzing or sizzling sounds coming from a switch or outlet could indicate an unsafe wiring condition, such as a loose electrical connection.
- Flickering Lights – If you have a light that flickers, first check the bulb to make sure that it is the proper wattage. The fixture itself might be defective. But if the problem encompasses more than one light, you probably have loose or defective wiring.
- Burning Odor/Sparks – If there’s a burning odor coming from an outlet or switch, cut off the power at the electrical panel. The problem could be a defective device, but it might also be a wiring or overload problem. An occasional spark is common when an appliance is plugged in. But sparks that are irregular or recurring might suggest a problem with your outlet or circuit.
According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, home-based electrical systems cause nearly 55,000 fires a year resulting in more than 500 deaths and 1,400 injuries. Electrical fires cost 1.4 billion a year in property damage. If you have an older home, getting an expert electrician’s assessment on your wiring is the first best solution to ensure your home is up to code – and remains safe and comfortable. Roman Electric recommends a whole-home electrical safety inspection annually to ensure your home and family are protected.
A Rewiring Check List
Roman Electric is the most trusted rewiring company in the state. We have helped hundreds of homeowners update old and defective wiring systems (including knob-and-tube) for decades. Our expert electricians can thoroughly assess your home’s system and work with you to coordinate a plan that will get your home up to code – and operating safely. Before you decide to contact us for a rewiring project, we’ve compiled a list of essentials to consider for a smoother process.
- Take an Electrical Inventory – Make a list of all the appliances/devices you will be using in the house – and where. Your new electrical system must match the needs of the household. Knowing where and how you’ll be using power will make it easier to frame the parameters of the project.
- Research Local Codes and Pull Permits – A licensed technician can help you with all the local code and permit information, but a quick online search can help you with some advance planning. Codes dictate everything from the number of outlets you’ll put in each room to the kind of wire you’ll be using.
- Modern Wiring/Cabling – You will want to decide upon the kind of wiring you’d like for your home. Do you want just electrical? Or do you want to be set up for data, communications and security as well? Modern wiring encompasses far more than electricity, new cable and wireless systems are becoming increasingly more efficient and accessible.
- Demolition/Reconstruction – Understand that any rewiring job will require a bit of demolition. Plan in advance for restoration, especially if you own a home that has a specific historic look and feel. A Roman Electric electrician will be able to help you with any concerns about working on your home.
- A Work List – After you’ve done the requisite homework, you’ll want to create a complete list of the work that you would like done. Writing it all down can help immensely, especially if you are a novice with electrical systems. Once you have a complete work list, you will be able to better communicate your needs with the electrician and help coordinate a realistic work schedule.
Before our electricians begin work we will thoroughly evaluate the project and recommend the best and most cost-effective rewiring/cabling solutions. Our trained experts will make sure that you are comfortable with every aspect of the job – and understand the true scope of the project. You can be sure that our licensed, bonded and insured electricians will deliver prompt, quality service.
Whether you need electrical wire repair, cabling for an updated communication system, or a complete rewiring overhaul, Roman Electric is there for you. We’ve been helping Wisconsin with all their electrical needs since 1929.