When to Get an Electrical Safety Inspection
When was the last time you scheduled an electrical safety inspection from a qualified electrician?
If it’s been more than a year, spring is the perfect time to have your electrical system checked out by a licensed professional. As a supporter of National Electrical Safety Month, an annual electrical safety awareness campaign in May sponsored by the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), Roman Electric is sharing important electrical safety inspection information.
Use the month of May to evaluate your electrical system for potential safety hazards. This year’s theme is: Electrical Safety During Natural Disasters.
When should you schedule an electrical safety inspection?
Here are the signs that you should schedule an electrical safety inspection:
- Before you buy or sell a home.
- It’s been over a year since a licensed electrician inspected your home.
- You are experiencing regularly occurring power surges, flickering/dimming lights, or tripped circuits.
- Your home is 40 years or older.
- You are adding a room or making a major renovation.
- You are adding a major appliance such as a central HVAC system or washer/dryer.
- There is a strange burning/sulfuric smell near electrical components.
- You do not have enough outlets/power in your home to accommodate your electrical needs.
- There are outlets or switches that are warm or hot to the touch.
- You hear buzzing, humming, or other strange sounds coming from electrical system.
If you are experiencing frequently tripping breakers — cutting off power to one or more sections of your home — contact a professional electrician right away. There may be a dangerous electrical problem in your home. The same applies for any strange sights, sounds, or smells coming from electrical components.
Don’t forget to schedule a whole-house electrical inspection before you buy a house or start a major renovation project. A licensed and trained electrician will be able to tell you if there are any electrical problems to be aware of.
Roman Electric recommends scheduling a professional electrical safety inspection every year to uncover potential problems, increase energy efficiency, and make sure everything is code compliant.
What’s included in an electrical safety inspection?
An in-depth electrical safety inspection will include:
- Electric meter
- Electrical wires
- Electrical panels and boxes
- Circuit breakers and fuses
- Contactors and relays
- GFCI and AFCI protection
- Indoor and outdoor lighting
- Outlets and switches
In addition to rooting out electrical issues before they turn into major safety hazards, a professional electrician will make sure the home is up to National Electrical Code standards.
DIY Electrical Safety Inspection
There are a few monthly electrical maintenance tasks you can do to ensure a safe and efficient electrical system:
Make sure you aren’t using extension cords as a permanent solution. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions exactly. Learn more extension cord safety tips.
Stop using these switches and outlets and contact a qualified electrician right away if you notice any of the following:
- Outlets or switches are warm to the touch.
- Outlets or switches are discolored.
- Plugs don’t fit snugly into outlets.
- Outlets or switches make a crackling, buzzing, or sizzling sound.
Learn more electrical system safety tips.
Schedule a Comprehensive Electrical Safety Checkup from Roman Electric
Your electrical system is designed to last a long time, but it’s not always prepared to handle new, sensitive electronics and increased amounts of energy.
Roman Electric will send out an experienced technician to look over your home’s electrical system and make sure everything is running as it should. We will repair small issues on the spot and provide a list of recommendations, such as waterproofing for wet locations.
We will also inspect your home for working home safety devices, including:
- Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters
- Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters
- Tamper Resistance Receptacles
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
Schedule an appointment with Roman Electric today for your annual electrical safety inspection.
We understand that electrical emergencies are never convenient. That’s why we have a live call center open 24 hours a day to help with all of your urgent electrical needs: 414-369-3798.